Seasonal Catering Tutor
I’m Nicola Craven, I’ll be teaching Seasonal Cookery & Baking from the bakery at Talgarth Mill.
I’ve been working in food since the age of 12 when I went to help my dad in his shop as a Saturday girl. I studied home economics at A Level, and have always loved to bake and cook. Ten years ago I became involved with what was then the café and bakery at Talgarth Mill. I worked in the kitchen producing lunches and cakes from locally sourced food. I also learned how to bake the bread, make pizzas and much more on a commercial scale.
I think it’s really important to be able to cook seasonally and without waste, for health, environmental and sustainability reasons. And if you can bake, you can travel anywhere in the world and find yourself a job.
We’ve won lots of awards:
- National Bakery Award – Regional Winner for Wales in 2020.
- Best Café in Wales at the 2015 National Tourism Awards.
- A one star Great Taste Award for our bread in 2015.
- A gold and three silver awards at the World Bread Awards 2013.
- A Bronze Countryside Alliance Award in 2013.
- We were on Britain’s Best Bakery in 2013, and Made in Britain in 2021.
We’ve also featured in several books including Europe’s Best Bakeries.