Join us on the 28th July, for a day of fun and hard work up at our farm campus. This working party will be focussing on clearing and upgrading the path from the farm to Talgarth.
We’ll make sure we have coffee, tea and a selection of fabulous cakes. Can you let us know if you’re coming, so that I can make sure we have enough!
Here are the details:
Opportunity to join volunteer working parties at the new BMC campus
BMC is now working on preparations in readiness for the first FE students who will start their courses at Troed yr Harn farm (TyH), where BMC will be based, in September 2021. TyH lies just over a mile SE of Talgarth and is becoming BMCs’ home. Building works (subject to planning permission) will also be started in coming months/year. Alongside the major building works BMC wishes to encourage volunteers to support minor works and create an active stakeholder group through this engagement.
BMC is holding twice monthly working parties at Troed yr Harn farm on;
- 2nd Saturday of each month 10.00 – 16.00
- 4th Wednesday of each month 10.00 – 16.00
Dates for July to Sept are;
- Wed 28th July
- Sat 14th Aug
- Wed 25th Aug
- Sat 11th Sept
- Wed 22nd Sept
Tasks are suitable for anyone who has a very basic grasp of doing practical stuff, gardening and working with simple tools. To give you an idea of the sorts of tasks we plan to undertake over the coming months;
- Clearing weeds, scything/moving grass in selected areas
- Upgrading the footpath through the woods with steps/handrails
- Build planters and establish beds in the yard
- Build a compost latrine
- Plant trees/hedgerows
BMC will provide; H&S briefing/supervision, materials, tools, tea/coffee and some gloves. Please wear stout boots, and bring your own gloves if you wish and whatever snacks you would like. We will provide tea/coffee and cake!
BMC wishes to operate the campus at TyH farm as a car free campus, which means keeping traffic to an agreed minimum (which is part of the planning requirements). In order to do BMC personnel will walk volunteers up from Talgarth so;
- we will meet at 10.00 in the main Talgarth car park
- we will walk about 30-40 mins covering 2.5 km (1.2 miles) with 125m of ascent up to TyH farm
- If you wish to cycle up, we can meet you at the farm (postcode Brecon LD3 0EF) around 10.40.
- Please feel free to walk yourself back down earlier than 15.30 if you need to leave before then.