Learn how to maintain and sharpen your hand tools instead of replacing them on our one-day short course!
Bring two or three unsharpened tools along with you to our Troed yr Harn campus and learn how to make them sharp again rather than replace them! Types of tools you can bring include sickles, axes, slashers, billhooks, secateurs, and scythes.
Date – Saturday 10th June 2023 from 9am – 5pm
Location – meet at Talgarth Car Park, LD3 0PQ
Our campus is a car free site, and we encourage participants to meet at 9am at Talgarth carpark to walk up to the campus ready to start the course for 10am. This is a moderate uphill walk of 35-40 minutes. If you are unable to do so we will organise lift-shares from the Car Park.
What you need – You should wear suitable, weather-dependent PPE including gloves, and good, sturdy boots with steel toes if possible. Please bring a water bottle and a packed lunch for a picnic at the farm.
Bring along any tools you have that need sharpening!
Age limit – You MUST be 16 years old or above to take part in this course.
What will I do and learn?
- Learn how to sharpen and maintain edged hand tools
- Discover how to work safely; use appropriate tools, equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) to sharpen hand tools
- Don’t create waste – learn about what makes a quality tool when purchasing
- Understand the appropriate use of grinders and angle grinders
- Learn the appropriate use of a range of sharpening stones and the difference between oil and wet stones