Learn how local government structures can play a key role in creating green and resilient communities on this online course over 3 evenings!
Whilst climate change is a global issue, the impact of floods, droughts and heatwaves, will be felt on a local level, affecting the lives of people in their own communities. And although much of the responsibility to take action lies with national governments and multinationals, many powerful solutions originate locally. With councils embedded in their parish or town, they hold great potential to help communities become greener, more resilient, and fairer.
This course is for existing councillors who want to learn how climate change will affect their constituency. It is for councils that have declared a climate emergency and want to take action, but don’t know where to start. It is for councillors who want to become more proactive, by learning how they can play a role in reducing the inequality climate change is already causing, making their neighbourhoods and homes more sustainable and building community resilience. You will learn from examples across the country and unpack what works and what doesn’t. To end up with practical strategies tailored to your position and context.
What will I do and learn?
- Understand the expected effects of climate change on local communities in Britain and what this means for communities and local councils.
- Learn how councils can become more ambitious and proactive.
- Learn from inspiring examples of what local councils have done, and feel empowered to achieve something similar.
- Learn how local councils can work with members of the community and the voluntary sector to set up or contribute to initiatives that benefit the lives of their constituents and help communities become greener, fairer and more resilient.
- Learn about different ways in which local councils can generate funding in order to set up or contribute to initiatives that benefit the lives of their constituents and help communities become greener, fairer and more resilient.
- Learn where your local council can be significantly strengthened
- Be supported in creating a practical action plan that you can start to implement as an individual or group.
- Sharing knowledge and experience with other participants that have similar aims and aspirations.
Dates: Wednesdays 11th, 18th, and 25th October 2023
Time: 7pm – 9.15pm
Instructions: After booking your spot, you be able to access the webinar link. Join online via Zoom. You will receive a reminder before each session!
NOTE: Your ticket covers all three evening courses