Find out what Black Mountains College is all about!
Join us at Gwernyfed Rugby Club from 10am – 3pm on Saturday 9th July, 2022 for a range of all-day and planned activities…
All Day Activities:
- Food and drink from The Malthouse
- Further Education taster & Q&A – meet our NVQ tutors
- Coppicing and Greenwood Trades demonstrations
- Have a go on the shave horse!
- Take part in horticultural activities – name that plant, learn to identify weeds, and have a go on our microscope to observe soil-dwelling microbes within our compost
- Horticulture talks: ask your questions to our knowledgeable and qualified tutors
10am – 12pm ‘Introduction to Ecology’ guided walk to our farm campus – Troed-yr-Harn.
Look out for a wide variety of wildlife along the way and around the farm! This is an uphill walk starting from our base Gwernyfed Rugby Club, covering 2.5 km (1.2 miles) with 125m of ascent and requires a reasonable level of fitness. For those who are unable to complete this walk but would like to view the campus, we will organise a car share from the Rugby Club!
You will be able to tour our campus, meeting our Programme and Tutor Coordinator and some of our current 2021-2022 students. Recharge with a drink when you arrive, before taking a look around the site, the surrounding woodlands, and admire the astonishing views of the Brecon Beacons! Whilst you’re here, you can check out our student end-of-year projects, including some impressive greenwood products they have created.
1pm – 3pm ‘Woodlands in a Changing Climate’ Walk and Talk around Talgarth
Join Gareth Ellis, founding Director of The Green Valleys CIC, on a short walk to visit areas of local woodland under community management. Learn how the management fits in with wider landscape changes and the future of woodlands in a changing climate. This is a steady 2-hour walk covering approximately 3 miles.