Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Black Mountains College (BMC) is a visionary project for a new community of learning within the Brecon Beacons National Park comprising a liberal arts higher education offer, further education courses and a short course programme all geared towards climate action and adaptation.
The college welcomed its first cohort of vocational students in September 2021, launched a short course programme in 2022 and is planning on launching an undergraduate degree in 2023.
BMC is seeking to recruit a full time Chief Operating Officer with experience of further and higher education to oversee all operational aspects and ensure the smooth running of the two existing streams of activity and support the launch of our undergraduate degree.
- Full time hours – 37.5 hour week
- Salary £45,000-£50,000 p.a. depending on experience
- Pension scheme
- Joining a small, highly motivated and values led team
- Flexible working arrangements available
- Talgarth office location, although some travel within the Brecon Beacons National Park and Wales may be required
- 28 days holiday
- One year contract renewable subject to performance and funding
- Support and manage the next phase of the BMC project: translating the vision for the college (of an inclusive and transformative learning community) into workable but aligned practices and policies.
- Overseeing all teaching, site, and office operations
- Staff management duties including handling sickness, absences, holidays, disciplinaries, daily briefing, appraisals, reviews etc.
- Assisting with staff recruitment including identification of staff requirements, interviewing candidates and final selection
- Overseeing finances, helping to prepare accounts when required
- Preparing budgets and monitoring spend and procurement procedures
- Preparing organisational reports as needed
- Provides advice, guidance and support to employees
- Manage staff workloads in order to meet goals and deadlines
- Develop plans to increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Analyse current operational processes, policies, systems, and performance, recommending solutions for improvement and implementing new procedures
- Completing RAMS, identifying risks and implementing preventative measures
- Completing accident reports when required
- Promote health and safety in all areas
- Reviewing and approving equipment needs
- Collaborate with the CEO, Board of Trustees, Academic Lead and other stakeholders in the development of the college’s emerging goals and long-term operational plans
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity
- Ensuring high-quality operations of the College at all times
Skills & Requirements
- Experience within Education Management and Operations Management is essential
- Superior knowledge of multifaceted operational functions and principles, including finance, project management, HR and employee management
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency and productivity
- Ability to streamline and implement new structures and roles that create speed, efficiency, and support rapidly shifting organizational demands
- Excellent I.T skills required
- Health and Safety qualification desirable (e.g. IOSHH/NEBOSH)
- Welsh speaker beneficial but not required
Deadline: July 7, 2022
Interviews: w/c July 11, 2022
Please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!