Core Skills Tutor – Treherbert
Job Title: Core Skills Tutor
Hours: Part-time – total hours will be approx. 325 across the year (with some potential for overtime). This includes 220 hours teaching (one full day per week, approx. 35 teaching days), with 2 hours prep per teaching day, and extra hours reserved for meetings, events, and any training required.
Reports to: Further Education Coordinator and COO
Salary: hourly rate £18.82 per hour inclusive of holiday pay
Contract: 12-month contract, rolled over each year
Background of BMC:
Black Mountains College (BMC) is a unique rural college based in the Brecon Beacons National Park. BMC re-imagines what education is for and how it is delivered. Our approach connects the environment, society and the individual to produce rounded, resilient future leaders and change-makers.
We are now in our second academic year and have students of all ages and backgrounds participating in our Level 2 NVQs in Regenerative Horticulture, and Sustainable Coppicing and Greenwood Trades. We have a varied short course programme and have a degree – BA (Hons) Sustainable Futures: Arts, Ecology and Systems Change, which is accepting applicants for a September 2023 start.
In addition to our main Talgarth campus, our new Treherbert campus launches in Sept 2023, offering our NVQs in Regenerative Horticulture, and Sustainable Coppicing & Greenwood Trades.
Purpose of the Role:
A Core Skills Tutor and Facilitator is required to join us located in Treherbert. We are looking for an inspirational teacher passionate about equipping students with the skills necessary for a sustainable future.
This person will plan and facilitate the core content of the programme (including ecology, sustainability, and life skills), and teach elements of it, to our first cohort of Further Education students based in Treherbert from September 2023 to August 2024. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a visionary project transforming the way we teach and learn.
The tutor will be responsible for aligning the content of the sessions with the two BMC NVQs in Sustainable Coppicing and Green Wood Skills and Regenerative Horticulture, liaising closely with tutors delivering those programmes.
There will be a requirement, as part of the role, to attend occasional student events, consultation evenings, and to represent BMC in schools and at careers fairs outside of normal working hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate BMC core content (including 15 hours of induction), according to an outline scheme of work.
- Plan and deliver lessons over approximately 35 teaching weeks with an emphasis on ecology, conservation, climate and systems change.
- Research and organise appropriate guest speakers.
- Plan and organise practical tasks, walks, or trips to enrich sessions.
- Deliver student induction (including some standardised testing), and sustainability themed tutorials
- Take responsibility for health and safety at your lessons
- Attend termly standardisation meetings and liaise closely with other subject-specific teaching staff to ensure smooth running of the programme.
- Work with the team to support the wellbeing of students and provide student support where required.
- Undertake student 1-2-1’s and subsequent individual learning plan monitoring.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines and contractual agreements, including any surrounding administration.
- Attend occasional CPD meetings including tutor standardisation days.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) qualification or Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or similar
- Creative thinker with an interest in sustainability education and a passion for how people learn
- A proven track record of teaching in a tertiary setting
- Excellent organisational skills with an emphasis on attention to detail, record keeping, and learning outcomes
- The ability to build positive relationships and inspire students with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Active interest in new forms of pedagogy and methods for engaging students inside and outside the classroom
- Full driving licence
- Training/experience in safeguarding desirable
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- A current first aid qualification
- Welsh language speaker
- Experienced in the use of Microsoft Office
- Category D1 Driving licence (to drive minibus) qualification
Please send a CV and covering letter via Indeed
Inclusion and Diversity:
BMC is a firm believer in diversity and inclusion in the workplace. BMC is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, culture, economic background and nationality.